Death toll in Hong Kong high-rise fire rises to 128
Digest more
From the impact of the tragic Tai Po fire on residents to ways you can help those affected, here are seven stories from our recent reporting.
The blaze, which broke out in the afternoon, was quickly upgraded to a No. 4 alarm — the second-highest alert level — as firefighters battled fast-spreading flames engulfing the building’s exterior.
Authorities said the cause was yet to be determined, but preliminary investigations suggested the fire started on protective netting on the lower floors of one of the towers and that “highly flammable” foam boards,
The death toll from the deadly blaze in Tai Po has soared to at least 128, as authorities believed "highly flammable" styrofoam boards attached to the windows of the buildings fuelled the spread of the fire.
Major leaders from the crypto industry have pledged millions of dollars to support the victims of the deadly fire in Hong Kong. The fire in a high-rise apartment complex in Tai Po District in Hong Kong started on Nov. 26 and engulfed seven of the eight 32-storey blocks in the apartment complex.
Po Leung Kuk’s Lee Shau Kee Youth Oasis and their Jockey Club Tai Tong Holiday Camp, both in Yuen Long, have also been offered up as emergency accommodations. A temporary shelter previously opened at Kwong Fuk Community Hall at Kwong Fuk Estate has now been closed due to police operations.
Officials reveal alarms did not sound in all eight blocks of Wang Fuk Court during previous tests. Residents unaware of danger around them.
The authorities said flammable netting and foam boards may have fueled the city’s deadliest blaze in nearly 70 years, killing more than 90 and prompting arrests.